Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti Earthquake

This is a blog about model railroading, yet today my heart is breaking for the people of Haiti.

The magnitude of the tragedy in that country is overwhelming; if ever there was a country that didn't deserve this, it is Haiti, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

One of the blessings of living in Canada, the U.S. or Europe is being able to enjoy a hobby--that is a luxury unknown to billions of poor people around the world. A donation to your favourite relief organization for Haitian earthquake relief would be a good way to help people in Haiti, and to show your gratitude for the many blessings we all have received--including the blessing of a hobby like model railroading.

It's the least we all can do.

P.S. I spent the bulk of my career in international relief and development, including in Haiti. I do not have any word yet about friends I used to work with in that country.

Update: On Jan. 15 I learned that my friend and former colleague, Jean-Claude, is alive. I await additional information on other friends in that country.

No comments:

Post a Comment